"Giving Up Something for Lent"

 "Open my hands, Lord." It is a Lenten prayer, simple and powerful.  We can hang onto many things in life very tightly, including our familiar routines.  Many routines can help us, but when they become rigid, there is little room for anything else. When we are gripping something very tightly our hand is closed.  But if, with God's help, our hand can actually open--particularly if it has been closed, or we have been closed, for a long time--the shape of our hand changes.  With an open hand, we become prepared to receive, and to be equipped for life that will be open-handed instead of closed-fisted.

The season of Lent involves opening our lives to God repentantly, and doing some unpacking, unburdening, in order to move, to make breathing room, to create space for new life that is God's gift to us.  This is what the spiritual discipline of fasting about.  It is typically related to giving up food for a time-limited period, while entering into prayer.  Fasting can be a form of purification and the welcoming of the Spirit.  Over the centuries, this has also taken the form of "giving something up for Lent."

The question, "What should I give up for Lent?," has been a familiar one in my years of ministry.  One of  my most thoughtful suggestions came in the context of a Bible Study Group some years back.  I considered my answer with some care and then responded, "Complaining. I think giving up complaining for Lent would be a faithful and worthwhile venture in spiritual growth."

None of us would exhibit great success at first.  In fact, we might be shocked to realize how often it is that we do complain.  But in a positive sense, that means we will make that much more room for the positive alternatives that God will help us with.  We will need people to support and encourage us, to give us feedback on what they hear from us.  Every day we will have multiple opportunities to let go and make room for something new.

Eventually, we can practice that newness.  Imagine being more honest with God about ourselves:  

--"God, I am having great difficulty understanding the enormity of your grace, and welcoming the way it promises to change me.  It seems much easier to find fault in others. Help me to receive, and to grow humbly in generosity and compassion." 

Maybe we can speak in a new way to people who have suffered our criticism:

--"I am sorry for being so critical.  I am very self-demanding, and honestly, have my own change-work to do.  It is not your burden to carry.  I appreciate the understanding you have already extended to me.  I will do better"

And how about if every interrupted criticism can become an opportunity to acknowledge and celebrate the many gifts in other people?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Images of Jesus from Around the World

Confirmation Promises

The UCC Statement of Faith